Daylight Saving Time (DST), the practice of advancing clocks during warmer months so darkness falls later according to clocks. Do you like changing clocks backwards and forwards? Do you agree with the concept of DST? Did you remember to move your clocks ⏰ forward one hour?
- First proposed in 1784 by Benjamin Franklin. He suggested that waking up earlier in the summer months would save economically on the usage of candles.
- In 1895, George Hudson seriously proposed a similar idea except he wanted to change the clocks by two hours every spring.
- In 1907, William Willett presented the idea as a method of saving energy.
- In 1908, First implementation of DST in Port Arthur, Ontario, Canada 🇨🇦.
- In 1916, the German Empire and Austria 🇦🇹-Hungary each organized the first nationwide implementation for their jurisdictions.
- In 1918, the United States adopts Daylight Saving Time.
Do you like using DST? Like the back and forth of changing clocks ⏰? Would you rather we stayed DST or Standard Time year round?
Personally, I would prefer to stay on one time regardless of whether it is DST or Standard Time. I dislike the changing of clocks backwards and forwards. I dislike losing an hour of sleep ( I don’t sleep 💤 much anymore anyway), I need what sleep 💤 I can manage to achieve.
I know there are some benefits to having longer daylight hours, but that doesn’t mean necessarily that we constantly have to change our clocks twice a year. Do we really increase daylight or are we tricking ourselves by the changing of the clocks? Something to think about, anyway. What do you think?
Let’s list some of the advantages and disadvantages of DST.
Advantages of Daylight Saving Time:
- Longer daylight promotes safety
- Good for the economy – boosts
- Promotes active lifestyles
- Crime rate declines
- Lowers energy consumption
- Less traffic accidents
- Increases recreational time: Ability to enjoy sunshine in the evenings – time for outdoor activities, bbq’s or an evening stroll.
- Decrease in electricity consumption
Disadvantages of Daylight Saving Time:
- Bad for your health – change in sleep patterns has negative consequences for your health
- Drops productivity
- Children wait for school buses 🚌 in the morning darkness
- Extra sleepy 🥱 the Monday afterwards
- Increase in heart ♥️ attack risk
- Some never adjust – causing decrease in their life quality and health
- Greater risk of mood disturbance, mental health issues, depression
- Increases evening traffic, increases fuel consumption
Whether we like it or not, Daylight Saving Time (DST) is here to stay in one form or another. Some people and states would like to abolish it and some states have already. Would you like to see DST done away with? Why or why not? Would you like to permanently be on DST, like some states have already instituted? I like having daylight in the early evening hours but abhor the changing of the clocks twice a year. If it is better to have more daylight later in the day than early mornings, than I think everywhere should switch to permanently being on DST.
Just a few ideas for you to think over as you ponder about Daylight Saving Time. Hope you enjoy. Maybe relish a laugh or two.
I hope you remembered to set your clocks forward an hour last night. If not, you might need extra coffee on Monday. God Bless. Have a pleasant evening and use you extra daylight to have some fun outdoor recreation.
Leave a Reply